16 December 2012

Mischief Maker... how to get sharpie off linoleum

The other day Nia walked into the bathroom and started yelling, "MOM, you're not going to like this!"

Being that it was the bathroom, I had no idea what I was about to walk into. Since my gross tolerance level is significantly lowered with pregnancy, my first question was, "how bad is it?"

Nia, "You don't want to go in there."

So, prepared for the worst, I held my breath and rounded the corner to the bathroom. Permanent marker on the floor. Whew, at least I wasn't going to throw up. Well, maybe not whew, I had never dealt with this particular issue before. So obviously... I googled. Several sights suggested several 'fixes.'

My first attempt was hand sanitizer. Mainly because there was a bottle of it on the bathroom counter. Here is a shot of it globbed on over the err, artwork. Nia and I rubbed it in a bit. No luck. Let it set about 20 minutes. Not even a little fading after it was wiped off.


As I searched the house for items used in other recommendations, Nia sprayed Off Deep Woods bug spray on it. I saw this a handful of places online and had the least hope for this method, but I knew exactly where the bug spray was and amazingly, it worked! Nia said it actually disappeared like magic as she sprayed. She even asked if she could scribble on the floor so she could show me. Anyway, I decided to dig a little deeper as to why this worked so well. A few sites suggested this worked by removing the protective coating that is on the linoleum and would only work on newer floors.

Ahh, crisis averted. The teacher part of me wants desperately to turn this into a science experiment. Ideas are brewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment