08 November 2013

Essential Oils: Cleaning and Sanitizing Spray

What prompted me to find an alternative to my regular cleaning and sanitizing spray and hand sanitizer.
Three reasons really:
1- For the last few years I have used vinegar and water in a spray bottle to clean with. It does the trick of killing germs and getting stuff clean, but the smell leaves a LOT to be desired.
2- A few weeks ago my oldest friend Melissa (not oldest, like she is sooo old, but oldest, as in I've literally known her since the day I was born) asked me if there was an oil that could be used as a multi-purpose cleaning spray.
3- Cameron has developed a pallet for hand sanitizer, and I'm sure you're not supposed to eat that chemical filled gel.

So the search began and here is the recipe for my 

Natural multi-purpose cleaning spray/hand sanitizer:

In a spray bottle with 2 cups of water add
8 drops clove oil
4 drops lemon oil
4 drops orange oil
4 drops eucalyptus oil
4 drops cinnamon oil
2 drops rosemary oil
note: the orange and lemon oils can be substituted for each other

This is non-toxic and is safe to spray on things like your baby's high chair and if you use it for hand sanitizer, it's not a big deal if your kid licks their hands immediately after. It's also not a big deal if your 3 year old decides to drink it. Although I wouldn't encourage them to do so, it isn't harmful like drinking other cleaners or sanitizers would be, but probably doesn't taste great. These are the same oils that would be found in a thieves oil blend (produced by both young living or mountain rose herbs also known as OnGuard by the doterra company). You can easy use one of the pre-mixed thieves oil blends instead of this mix. If you opt for a thieves blend, use one drop per ounce of water.

So far, I'm really liking it as a cleaner. It smells great and is really good at getting up sticky stuff that has sat a while. I'm still a little undecided as a hand sanitizer. It seems to dry out my skin a little, however I'm not as worried when I see Cameron trying to eat it.

Check out my post on Essential Oils: Lavender (Here)

No comments:

Post a Comment